Top 10 popular Adventure Sports in the United States 2023
Adventure sports activities have the potential to produce drastic benefits on mental and physical health and provide opportunity for individuals to engage fully with life. Adventure sports often carry out the risk of serious and permanent injury and even death, like mountaineering, trekking, rock climbing, snow skiing, mountain biking, zipline, paragliding, powered hang gliding, parasailing, sky diving, hot air ballooning.
Top 10 popular Adventure Sports in the United States
1. Bungee jumping
Jumping from the launching pad at a great height while attached with a flexible cord. The adrenaline rush comes from the free falling and the rebound. This meager intensive excitement and stimulation encourages many people around the world to dare to have such a popular adventure.
Rio Grande bridge, New Mexico, is the highest, popular and most expensive bungee jumping spot in the United States.
Royal Gorge suspension bridge, Arkansas river, is the highest bridge in the United States. Bungee jumping and BASE jumping is allowed legally and safely only during Go Fast Games for 3 days event held in September.
Go-karting is an ideal first step for junior racers. Go-karting can both be used as a great training ground and bring an aspiring youngster into a large-scale international competition. Traditionally, small two-stroke and four-stroke internal combustion engines were used in motorized go-kart racing, now electric go-karts are available.
Top 5 indoor and outdoor Go Kart tracks in United States:
- Three Rivers Karting, Pennsylvania.
- New York race complex, New York.
- GoPro Motorplex, North Carolina.
- PGP Motorsports park, Washington.
- Orlando Kart center, Florida.
3. Mountain biking
Riding a bicycle with full face helmets on winding paths, avoiding obstacles off-road, often over rough terrain, usually using specially designed mountain bikes. Endurance, core strength and balance, bike handling skills, and self-reliance are required to pursue both steep technical descents and high slope climb.
Top 5 mountain biking trails in USA
- Rim trails, Lake Tahoe, California and Nevada.
- Phil’s trail, Mt. Bachelor, Oregon.
- Fisher Creek, Sun valley, Idaho.
- Lower Rock Creek trail, Mammoth Lakes, California.
- Flying DOg, Park city, Utah.
Parkour, similar to freerunning, involves overcoming obstacles by climbing, jumping or running in a creative way, with artistry, fancy flips and stylistic acrobatics, to create their own moves, flows and lines in different landscapes, generally in urban areas. No equipment is needed, except a good pair of shoes.
Central Park, New York is the most popular place for parcticing parkour in United States. Parkour gyms are the best place for dedicated and competitive athletes.
5. Rock climbing
Climbers climb up across steep, rock cracks, finger pockets and edges or slab of natural rock formations, with safety rope, harness, a good pair of climbing shoes, and chalk bag. This sport tests a climber’s strength, endurance, agility and balance along with mental control.
Top 5 rock climbing spots in United States:
- Red Rock canyon, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Red River Gorge, Kentucky.
- Yosemite, California.
- Indian Creek, Utah.
- Joshua Tree National Park, California.
6. Scuba diving
Scuba diving is one of the few experiences where you can see fascinating animals in their natural habitat – authentic and unfiltered. It’s the perfect escape from the demands of the surface world when you immerse yourself in the world beneath the waves.
Top 5 Scuba Diving spots in United States:
- Wreck diving in Oahu, Hawaii.
- Jupiter wreck trek, Florida.
- Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Monterey Bay, California.
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo, Florida.
- Puget Sound, Washington.
Skateboarding is an action sport, and a form of recreation that involves riding, performing tricks like the tickturn, the Ollie, the grind, and many freestyle maneuvers. Recently, barefoot skating has been experiencing a revival, one of the leading trends associated with skateboarders choosing to wear stick-soled slip-on skate shoes.
Top 5 Skateboarding places in United States:
- Burnside Skatepark, Portland, Oregon.
- Kirtsis Skatepark, Lincoln city, Oregon.
- Denver Skatepark, Denver, Colorado.
- DC Shoes Foundation Skate plaza, Kettering, Ohio.
- Les Coleman Skatepark, New York.
Sliding down a snow-covered mountain with a snowboard attached to the rider’s feet with soft to mid-flexing boots, without any poles. To die-hard riders and enthusiasts across the globe, snowboarding is a special kind of “medicine for the soul”, combining the beauty of nature, the thrill of competition, and the opportunity of self-expression.
Top 5 Snowboarding destinations in the United States:
- Mt. Hood Meadows, Oregon.
- Park City Mountain Resort, Utah.
- Mammoth Mountain, California.
- Telluride Ski Resort, Colorado.
- Pallisade Tahoe and Alpine Meadows, California.
Riding a wave on a surfboard, either lying on belly, drop knee or sometimes even standing, is one of the most addictive adventure sports. Surfer’s skills are tested by their ability to control the board in difficult conditions, riding challenging waves, and executing maneuvers like strong turns, cutbacks, carvings, floater, off the flip, and many more.
Top 5 Surfing destinations in United States:
- North Shore, Ohau, Hawaii.
- The Islands of Maui and Kauai, Hawaii.
- San Diego County, California.
- Orange County, California.
- Malibu, California. (57 hours)
Windsurfing combines the features of sailing and surfing on a surfboard, maneuvered by the tilting and swiveling action of the mast and sail. Windsurfing is a recreational, more adventurous sport than sailing, and requires a higher level of physical fitness and agility.
Top 5 Windsurfing destinations in the United States:
- Maui, Hawaii.
- Outer Banks, North Carolina.
- South Padre Island, Texas.
- U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Columbia River, border of Washington and Oragon.